Friday, May 6, 2011

No, Never Alone


We have been in revival at our church this week with Bro. Dave Young and his family. What a blessing it has been! The Lord has spoken to my heart on many levels, and I am thankful for that. I don’t ever want to stop hearing from God.  
In addition to having some great evening services throughout the week, I have personally had some great devotional time alone with the Lord. How I wish I would’ve been more consistent with my devotional life during my teenage years! I feel I would be even closer to God now than I am if that had been the case. But, nevertheless, better late than never, right?
               This morning, the Lord laid something on my heart that I had never truly grasped. I have always prayed for my brother each day, but lately I have been praying even more fervently, as he is at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, going through BCT and AIT in the Army National Guard. I wrote him a letter yesterday and put some Bible verses on the back that I thought would encourage him. This morning, after my devotions I was thinking of more verses I could share. One popped in my mind: Hebrews 13:5b, “for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” What a fantastic verse! God is with us. Always.
               As I thought about that verse and thought about my brother, I was picturing him going about his day – doing his PT, going to the shooting range, etc. He had mentioned in his last letter that he needed to do better on his pushups. The military does those “special” pushups, ya know? He is struggling some with doing those properly. He also has to pass a shooting test to move on to the next phase of training. There is just so much he has to do, and it is difficult, no doubt!
               But as I thought of all this, I pictured him there with Jesus standing right by him. And isn’t that how it REALLY is? I feel that so often, as Christians, we fail to take God at His word. He said, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” We know He has given us His Holy Spirit who dwells within us at all times. God didn’t lie, did He? NO! He is always right there - every moment of every day.
               So, as my brother is working hard, trying to get those pushups right, and the Drill Sergeants are standing over him, he is not all by himself. Jesus is right there, too. When he is practicing his shooting at the range, Jesus is right there by his side. When he is just standing in formation, he has a true battle buddy standing right next to him – Jesus! What better battle buddy can you have?
               Thinking of that encouraged me SO much. And when I share it with my brother as I write another letter to him, I think it will encourage him, too.
               Since it is “favorite song Friday,” I wanted to share the words to a hymn that I love. I think it fits right in with my post today. It was written by Ludie D. Pickett.

                                NEVER ALONE

I’ve seen the lightning flashing,
And heard the thunder roll,
I’ve felt sin’s breakers dashing,
Trying to conquer my soul;
I’ve heard the voice of my Savior,
Telling me still to fight on,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.

The world’s fierce winds are blowing,
Temptation’s sharp and keen,
I have a peace in knowing
My Savior stands between—
He stands to shield me from danger,
When earthly friends are gone,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.

When in affliction’s valley
I’m treading the road of care,
My Savior helps me to carry
My cross when heavy to bear,
Though all around me is darkness,
Earthly joys all flown;
My Savior whispers His promise,
“I never will leave thee alone.”

He died for me on the mountain,
For me they pierced His side,
For me He opened the fountain,
The crimson, cleansing tide;
For me He’s waiting in glory,
Seated upon His throne,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.

Chorus:
No, never alone,
No, never alone,
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment