Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Tips for Having an Adventurous Day (sort of) …


Are you like me? Do you sometimes get tired of the monotony of everyday life?  I promise you – I am not complaining. I am very happy with my life right now. Josh and I are right where we want to be (where God wants us to be) and are enjoying every minute of life together. Sometimes, though, the normalcy just gets to me. Blah, blah, blah…life is so normal. But, guess what? That’s life. We get up, we do our “get-ready-for-the-day” routine, we go to work, we leave work, we go to the gym (or to church, or take kids to practice, games, etc.), we go home, we relax (or not),  we sleep, we get up, we do it AGAIN…and again…and again. Yeah, you get the idea. I think winter time makes this feeling even worse due to the fact that the weather so often keeps us trapped inside.

[If I may, I’d like to interject a comment here about the gym. If you don’t go, GO! Exercise is SO important. I can’t even begin to express how much it helps me. It also gives my mom and me a chance to be together throughout the week. Maybe you can’t go to a gym, but you could do something. It’s important to make time to exercise at least a few days a week. FYI – Ladies who live in my area – You should give Flex Express on Raleigh Hill a try. It is a great place to come and work out and meet wonderful women in the community! Bring the kiddos to play in the Kids Korner also!]

I do have a few ideas that can help add some change-up to your day. Some of them may seem silly to you, but it’s the little things that tend to brighten my day – how about you?   
1.     Breakfast of Champions. I tend to get in a rut when it comes to breakfast. I do try to eat something, but usually it’s the same old thing. Oatmeal, pop tart, whatever. In an attempt to resolve our breakfast blues, Josh and I have started taking one day or so of the week and making it “Biscuit Day.” We leave a bit earlier for work and head to Hardee’s to grab a biscuit. YUMMO! 
2.  The Music in Me. I work on my computer a lot throughout the day. I make opportunities to get up from my desk when I can, because I hate to sit all day long. While I am sitting, I like to listen to music. Turn it up, people! Don’t disturb the others around you, of course. Bring head phones if you are near someone else. Music is a great encourager. My favorite on-line radio is Slacker. Give it a listen and find your favorite stations. There are hundreds.
3.  Lovin’ Lunch. Is it odd that I already have two tips regarding food? Not to me, because I love to eat. Another little thing Josh and I do is pick one day of the week to be our eat-out lunch day. It just changes the pace a bit. (Remember, it’s the little things…)   
4.  Date Night Any Night. Go grab a movie out of the Redbox on your way home to watch with your love.  Netflix is pretty awesome, too. You could also look ahead at the TV Guide and see if there is a particular show or movie you two would enjoy watching together. 
5.  Spontaneous Special Nights. I totally realize it is difficult to be spontaneous when you have kids. Obviously, you would need to plan ahead if you want to do this as a duet, not as an ensemble. BUT, every once in a while, why not decide to go to the mall or a movie or grab dinner out with the whole fam – or just the two of you. Not just on the weekend…

In my experience, it’s little things like the above that tend to revitalize my everyday life. Certainly there are dozens of other things you could do to make each day special. If you have any other ideas, please comment and share them with me. Josh and I are always looking for new ways to have fun. Happy adventuring to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment